Originally Posted By moparx
billy, do you [or any others] have much trouble with trailer tires ? especially those that haul the "run of the mill" lowes, home depot, harbor freight, and similar utility trailers ? and if so, how many spare tires/wheel assemblies [along with spindles and bearings if necessary] are required fare ? this may be just a rhetorical or unnecessary question, so please don't hold it against me if it is not a problem. i just wondered.
beer

moparx,
When Boone had to give up his wheel bearing grease thirty miles into the trip on the first day, it was for a competitor who had burned up a bearing on his trailer. The consensus among the HF trailer users seems to be that the 12" wheels are a must. The 8" versions create higher bearing speed, and more drag, which the typical high stall converter cars are sensitive to.

Quite a few of the custom trailers use the exact same wheel/tire combo on the trailer, as they run on the front of their car. While this may seem to be the height of vanity, it does allow them to carry less spares.

I've also noticed quite a few of them have extended the tongues. If you notice in this picture of James Reeves' Omni GLH, the wheel base of the car seems to be the same as the distance to the trailer axle.

12052345_897424086992426_5079377457487141915_o.jpg

"Livin' in a powder keg and givin' off sparks" 4 Street cars, 5 Race engines