This is partially a rant and partially a PSA.

Most people pull apart 6.1 hemis and add a 4.080 crank to make a 426. Up until just recently, you had to carry over your crank toner ring from the forged 6.1 crank and put it on the new stroker piece. That leaves a 6.1 crank without a ring or bolts, and basically creates a paperweight.

So I had several 6.1 cranks to pick from and the one that I ended up sending out to use on by 6.1 was missing a ring. I thought no big deal...I've got others. Well none of my cranks had the ring. So I was up a creek come last thursday. Engine was ready to be assembled and we couldn't do a thing without it. I started calling...

13 calls later, I ended up with only two helpful people. Mike @ OST who took my call on Saturday and was very helpful. He went to his shop on a sunday and pulled a ring from a 6.1 crank. Unfortunately it was damaged and the teeth were dinged up. No go, the only way to replace the ring is to pull the crank and I couldn't take that risk. He was more than polite, and we parted ways.

The other shining star is Tom Molnar of Molnar Cranks. Top notch guy. He is the ONLY vendor out of 5 that I left a message with to return my call. The owner of the company of all people. We had a long conversation and he sold me his aftermarket ring to use. $60 plus shipping and I was very happy. He saw the problem created by mopar wanting to sell you the ring as part of a $800 crankshaft (only specific to forged 6.1 cranks) and adapted his own version. Its on the way here now.

So if you end up like me with a damaged or lost tone ring, you're not out of luck.

Molnar sells a 24 tooth 6.1 ring that they produce in house. Only difference is that is use a different style of head on the bolt.

I've also just recently found that mopar sells a bunch of parts for the drag packs. Mopar PN P5155041 I cant confirm that it comes with bolts, but if Molnar didn't have what I needed, I'd order this one.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Mopar-Performance/312/P5155041/10002/-1?parentProductId=

My Build thread: Let the hemi swap begin!

1968 wanna be pro touring whatchamacallit with some fancy stuff and a new roof skin.