Quote:

First off, the car looks like a good score. From your pics of the rear of the door and the striker, I'd say your hinge pins are worn. You can usually tell for sure by opening the door slightly, then grab the door edge and see if you can lift it up like there is a little up and down play in it. If you can feel it clunk a bit up and down, it'd basically be more worth it to change the hinge pins and/or bushings before you mess with adjusting the hinges. They can be a pain, but they shouldn't be very expensive. I'll also add to the earlier advice about cleaning the rust in the trunk. Once you are done, make sure you dry up all the water you clean it with. You can back it up in the sun with the trunk open to help with that, too. Obviously, now you will have wire-brushed through the rust and some paint, so you will have some bare metal. You will want to put some paint over that (not just primer--primer is usually porous). Otherwise, as temps and humidity change (especially if your car is outside all the time) the rust will show back up fairly quickly. Unless you are going for some perfect resto, I'd also throw those rubber trunk mats far away. If your trunk leaks or gets condensation in it, they will trap the moisture to the floor and rust it all over again. I got the cheap, thin carpet from the parts store and trimmed it to fit my Challenger. That stuff is breathable enough to not hold water under it, plus your stuff doesn't slide all over as bad back there. That reminds me of another thing...(this is becoming a book, but I hope it helps) Unlike new cars, the trunk walls are your actual outer quarter panels, so you don't want to go driving like Bo Duke with a big toolbox or a floor jack or something back there, or you will acquire some custom outward dents! If you have to carry that stuff, try to stow it so it can't fly around. That will hopefully save you some frustration down the road.

Once I get the power steering fixed, she is going to get washed and put back in the garage until I want to take her out for cruise ins or drives around town so weather shouldn't be too big of an issue. I'll throw the trunk mats away anyways. I knew the inner trunk walls were the quarter panels so I will find a way of securing some of the things I got in there. I'll play around with the door after dinner and reply back.

Edit: Just took another look at the door. There is almost no up and down play when dealing with the door. It seems like one of the door rollers just isn't spinning causing the stop at 30 degrees. Of course I can open the door completely without putting too much pressure on it.

Last edited by MuuMuu101; 07/14/12 10:17 PM.