Wow, I guess you guys don't recognize that Daytona! That's Doug Croxford's friend's car (I can't remember his name) out of the Cleveland area. The original color of it is Q5 and it was bought out of Berrien Springs, Michigan. The car made an appearance at the 1984 Mopar Nationals in Indy.

Here's a funny story about that car. Back in 1992, we took the red, white and blue Bird out to Union Grove, Wisconsin for a race out there. On the way home along I-94 in southwest Michigan a trucker saw the Bird on the trailer and keyed up his C.B. and asked if we had our radio on in the truck. He then told us that off of the very next exit, there was a car just like that about five miles down off of the exit. It was getting late and it had been a long weekend so we decided to come back the next week and follow up on the lead. We came back armed with several pictures of winged cars and started slowly driving around in the area where the trucker told us to look. There was nothing sitting out so we started pulling in driveways and going up and knocking on doors and showing the pictures and asking if anyone knew of a car like the ones in the pics in the area. The woman at the third house said "Oh yeah!" and directed us to a house a few doors down and across the street. We went up to the door and asked the guy and sure enough, he said "Yeah, I have a Daytona!" He took us out back and showed us the car shown in the pics. The car was a mess and the engine was out of the car and laying on the ground. The body was rough and the nose was also off of the car but like it is in the pics shown above. He wanted $12,000 for it at the time which was just a little too steep for a car that needed so much. Yeah, I know, in today's world, it would have been a steal.

Anyways, Doug's friend bought it several years later for around $8,000. He's done a good bit of work to it and got it to the point where it is driveable and enjoyable. He even drove it down to the Talladega wing meet in 1999. The engine compartment is all back to Q5 and looks very nice. It's still got a long ways to go but man, what a cool car!