Quote:

Yup, they (WW/NBOA) list the show (Talladega) in their calendar of events but are sure to point out that they will not be participating. I think I remember hearing that it has something to do with the fact that the other half of their club, the NBOA (National B-Body Owner's Association) is not allowed to participate in the race-day parade lap of the Talladega Superspeedway. You're right though that a lot of people belong to both clubs and go anyway. Sure seems like an odd reason to miss the best winged car meet on the planet that's only held once every five years though...

There probably is some truth there... Aside from the initial desire some years back to keep it an all "Aero event", the real issue becomes manageability of a large group. With almost 150 cars, there is the potential of doubling the size with B-bodies. I'm not saying that is a bad thing either. But there issues with marshalling all those cars and getting them on and off track in the allotted time slot.

However... in 1999, there were some B-bodies that showed up and were not turned away, participated in the entire meet and did the parade lap. And there will be a few there this time in 2004 as well. I pretty much have turned a blind eye, and if someone really wants to come, and asks about bringing a non aero B-body or Torino, I've said, "come on down". We haven't gone out of our way to advertise it. We have not discriminated or been hard-liners. They raced conventional B-bodies during that period. And nobody in the stands is going to care about a few extra cars.

I personally am of the opinion that if you want to come to an event, you should do so.