***bringing the thread back up top***

I just finished a Mustang Roundup road racing weekend at TWS. This was my third two day weekend at an HPDE.

My run group included:
-at least 3 new Shelby gt500's
-at least 2 new Laguna seca's
-a few new ford mustang gt's
-a couple c5's (one was z06 I believe)
-s2000
-a stock 4.6 car on Hoosiers
-C7 corvette

The duster ran great all weekend. Passed all but one of the cars listed, and I was not passed by anyone in my run group (group 2= 2-6 track days qualification). The fastest competition in the group was a well driven new Shelby that stayed with me for a lap before I was able to pull away (last session on day 2).

The old Mopars are very capable. One thing that has been said numerous times that is starting to become even more evident to me- driver improvement is by far the biggest delta that needs improvement. I'm starting to think that the difference in potential between a new mustang and my duster is negligible. Reliability and minimal need for service is a clear advantage of the mustang, though.

Further, I believe (agreeing with most of you) the current mustang platform is superior to the current Camaro and challenger. And the 5.0 coyote is very impressive- my instructor put one in his r-compound stripped '97 mustang- wow that was a fun ride.

I would love to see more Mopar guys build their Mopars to compete with the new mustangs vs sell them to buy a new mustang. It is indeed possible if you don't mind the upkeep and dialing in your specific combo.

-'02 Dodge Viper Ex-World Challenge racecar
-'73 Duster, 6.1 based 392 hilborn hemi, tko600, full floater rear 9", Hellwig custom bars, viper brakes, built for road course