Quote:

70 - 74 Challengers and Cuda's are cool......typical 440 powered Challengers of the era typically weigh in at 3800 pounds. Add a Dana 60 and it goes up. Stripping all of the interior/heater box/wipers is not going to take 800 pounds out of the car.

How many days are you leaving the unibody in an acid bath for?

I assume you're addressing my post?

If so, you missed the part where i said base model NO options. I didn't bother comparing an SRT8 to a 70 Hemi Challenger... faaaaar too many variables.

My 70 Challenger weighed pretty much exactly its stated 3006lb shipping weight. Before the 'E-bodies all weigh 2-tons' crowd chime in... well, i had a local circle track racer bring over some pricey scales, spent some time and some money and well... turns out all along i was right. these cars CAN weigh very little. A stripped out base 70 Barracuda would be even lighter. Compare that to the only figure i could find for a '2013 base model Challenger'... 3835 (or whatever i posted above, i forget), pounds. 6cyl car vs 6cyl car... no options on either. Thats over 800lbs. Now, add the powertrain, suspension, all the go-fast stuff to both cars and yeah... 70's got a BIG edge here. This is also assuming you are serious about performance and not just drive-in bragging... and skip the iron big block for an aluminum small block or modern engine swap. A Dana 60 has no more place on a car like this than a Dana 70 dually.

Remember, we're talking about building a competitive car (acceleration, braking, handling, etc.) out ov an old muscle car... not just building an old muscle car.

Further, you could pick an even lighter car... an early (67-71) A-body. You give up some tire size capacity, but then you've cut another 200-300lbs. 67-9 Camaros, 67-70 fastbacks, Javelin/AMX's... all lighter still than those E-bodies, yet still more 'muscular' than an A-body if thats a dealbreaker.