Quote:

]

I assume you're addressing my post?

If so, you missed the part where i said base model NO options. I didn't bother comparing an SRT8 to a 70 Hemi Challenger... faaaaar too many variables.

My 70 Challenger weighed pretty much exactly its stated 3006lb shipping weight. Before the 'E-bodies all weigh 2-tons' crowd chime in... well, i had a local circle track racer bring over some pricey scales, spent some time and some money and well... turns out all along i was right. these cars CAN weigh very little. A stripped out base 70 Barracuda would be even lighter. Compare that to the only figure i could find for a '2013 base model Challenger'... 3835 (or whatever i posted above, i forget), pounds. 6cyl car vs 6cyl car... no options on either. Thats over 800lbs. Now, add the powertrain, suspension, all the go-fast stuff to both cars and yeah... 70's got a BIG edge here. This is also assuming you are serious about performance and not just drive-in bragging... and skip the iron big block for an aluminum small block or modern engine swap. A Dana 60 has no more place on a car like this than a Dana 70 dually.

Remember, we're talking about building a competitive car (acceleration, braking, handling, etc.) out ov an old muscle car... not just building an old muscle car.

Further, you could pick an even lighter car... an early (67-71) A-body. You give up some tire size capacity, but then you've cut another 200-300lbs. 67-9 Camaros, 67-70 fastbacks, Javelin/AMX's... all lighter still than those E-bodies, yet still more 'muscular' than an A-body if thats a dealbreaker.

My 73 duster weighed in at 3580 without driver with a full tank of gas and full size spare. Not sure where I went wrong! That's 3800 race weight...

I realize a 73 is heavier, but not that much. It's the addition of all the 'modern day' stuff that is weighing her down.

18x9.5" mustang wheels and tires- ~55 lb x 5
14" brakes on all 4 corners- 28 lb rotors in front, 20 lb in rear
Four speakers, radio, and amp
Larger battery
Ford 9" floater axle- no different than 8 3/4 (but heavier than 7 1/4 or 8 1/4)
Tko600 with scatter shield bell housing (tranny = a833 weight, but tack on a few for the scatter shield)
Air conditioning
Oil cooler & oil accusump
Factory power steering with factory k frame
Manual brakes
5.7 Hemi with hilborn injection
Car is entirely steel. No fiberglass

I was initially disappointed it was so heavy. But, then I found an old car life article that posted a 3520 pound weight for a 70 340 duster as tested.

My point is if you build the car with modern components and modern comforts, your weight won't be that far off the new mustangs.

I'm still glad I built this car instead of buying a newer track car. Part of the fun for me is building it, which I'm starting to think may be a big part in the difference in opinion by those posting. And honestly I'm learning there are only a handful of guys who actually put their old Mopars on a road course. I'd say the list is very short.

-'02 Dodge Viper Ex-World Challenge racecar
-'73 Duster, 6.1 based 392 hilborn hemi, tko600, full floater rear 9", Hellwig custom bars, viper brakes, built for road course