Quote:

when I talked with the guys with blown up motors and asked them where their timing was set at WOT, most stated their tuners set them between 25 and 26*s. At the dyno with 105 tuning the timing and fuel curves, we heard audible knock at 27* and our DP engine made the most power and tq at 19.5*s thanks to the very efficient chamber design. I'm also a true believer in keeping the knock sensors in the tuning picture. Most tuners take those out of the equation, but I'd rather have the computer pull timing and fuel to save our very expensive engine if it goes into detonation.

I just thought I'd add my 2 cents here.....

- I agree that the knock sensors MUST remain in the equation. I tune quite a few of the GEN III Hemi's and have had many customers with tunes from other shops/tuners where the knock sensors have been desensitized to the point of being of little use.

- I disagree that the WOT timing should be at 19 degrees. Even on bone stock SRT8's, utilizing our loaded Mustang dyno to perform "spark hook" testing we have been able to demonstrate repeatedly that the WOT timing benefits from a carefully tuned curve and depending on the fuel, heads, cam, will be significantly higher than 19 degrees at various points in the WOT RPM/MAP table.

I am also wondering why folks would try to replace the highly efficient EFI system on these engines? I am a carb guy too (Gary Williams dominator), but these systems are hard to beat and are usually included with an engine swap. The 6.1 intake is hard to beat for performance/efficiency up to 7000rpm, there are aftermarket throttle bodies available as well as "stock" higher flowing injectors.

Just my thoughts....

This is a great thread and maybe we can get a Modern Mopar forum set up for these types of discussions?