Quote:

The 6.1 heads have already gone reman...that's what I meant when I said earlier "look what happened with heads already"....a dealer can start with the original part number, follow the supersessions, and that's where they end up.

Let the hoarding begin...
Some things never change

Matt, there was some nice detail in there, and it is all about correct except for one very noticeable error: there's no such thing as a VVT/VCT 6.1. The 6.1 is not in production anymore. It is gone. The 6.4 is the new big dog and it has vct/vvt. 6.4 is the apache engine.

A local machine shop with a lathe could make the cam bearing spacers, if someone wanted to try it. Myself I like the idea of a UGL (unground lobe) camshaft, with the VCT oiling holes omitted, a little better. Reason: The VCT cam has even larger bearing journals than a first generation 5.7/6.1 (which are already huge compared to old stuff)....larger cam core means the cam deflection will be reduced....so I'd really prefer that if possible.....

The caveman way of disabling vct/vvt...the cam phaser is inside the cam sprocket. You take the mechanism apart (it has one NASTY clock spring in there), position it wherever you want, and weld it solid. Done. Put it back together.

AEM controllers can control VVT/VCT also. AEM has been doing it for many years with Hondas and other imports and they have alot of expertise there. So maybe it doesn't have to be disabled at all (other than us traditional hot rodders might think it is a little goofy, and we don't know what to do with it yet because we've never had it before).

Zippy the reason I brought this up is the fact that if you redesign everything every couple of years the aftermarket can't keep up. I could be wrong but the G3 first generation is still in its toddler phase with the aftermarket.
Fiat is not GM we do not have the volume. So I thought that if it was possible with the spacer the aftermarker could support both. IE Cheaper
Thanks for the info.