I successfully navigated from OH-93N to US-250E, and then onto OH-21N in the span of about two miles, then had a thirteen mile run into Massillon Ohio to find checkpoint #1. OH-21 in the dark, with 50 year old lighting was interesting in that it was a fairly small two lane with mature trees and foliage crowding the road. I was happy to see the lights of Massillon come into view. I'm pretty good at the highway changes, but the in town directions screw me up when we are hunting down a specific stop, so once in town, I pulled into the first gas stop I could find. I fueled up first, 7.06 gallons, the math said 12.39 mpgs on that leg. I walked in and grabbed a 24oz coffee/hot chocolate mix and showed my route instructions to the clerk. She pointed me in the right direction, and I jumped back in the Valiant with a quick glance at my phone, 1:50AM, this would not be my last cup of coffee on this leg of the journey.

There were still a couple of kids hanging out at the checkpoint when I arrived, at 2AM on a September Monday night!
"There have been guys pulling in every ten to fifteen minutes all night", they explained to me as I sat waiting for the brothers. I didn't have to wait long as they rolled in about ten minutes later and we were all back together again.
"If Boone only runs those two big electric fans sparingly", Dale explained, "the alternator can keep the battery charged up".
"What temp is the engine at without the fans on", I asked.
"Well, I can see the gauge move a little, so then I kick them on until it drops back down", Boone tried to explain.
"The sending unit is just black taped to the radiator hose", Dale added, "we didn't have the fittings we needed for the Meziere water pump".
I ran my hands through my hair then tossed them up beside my shoulders, "Good grief! So...when the gauge moves?"
"Yep", Boone gave me a toothy smile, "that's what we're rolling with!"

PS. I didn't pay attention to the mural in any way, and now looking at the map I realize we were only about eight miles away from Canton, home of the NFL Hall of Fame...another missed opportunity!

100_2015.JPG14527451_558223211034860_2051850144_n.jpgPART_1476651299049_IMG_20160913_020450.jpg

"Livin' in a powder keg and givin' off sparks" 4 Street cars, 5 Race engines