Dale was spraying water on the radiator, and the 512 was humming along at 2500, when the black paint on the fender wells above the headers started bubbling up, so we shut it down for a while.

Boone returned with all his stuff, along with some bad news.
"Darren just called and said the Charger is out, they started to fill the radiator and the water went straight into the pan!"
Dale leaned forward in the Duster, shaking his head. "I told him he should've used a different block!"
"OK, you told me he left water in last winter and the Indy heads were cracked, so he bought a new set", I looked back and forth between both brothers with my hands on my hips. "Now, you're telling me he tried to re-use the block?"
"He waited so late to get started on it...and the only machinist that could get it done in time doesn't have the ability to pressure test anything. We checked it out and it looked fine, he told Darren to take it somewhere else and test it if he wasn't comfortable..." Dale's voice trailed off.
"So, what's the plan now?"
"Dad is coming over to help me drive", Boone explained, "Darren and Sherri have already taken vacation and planned for this, so he's going to get cleaned up, packed, and just follow along in the Ram R/T like he did last year".
"Well, I guess Rachael and I better get on down the road then, because you guys sound like you're on the 'drive 90 and show up at the last minute' plan again."
"I'm not going with you Dad!" Rachael shook her head.
"What do you mean?"
"Dale is a zombie, he's been awake for 36 hours, little Billy doesn't have a license, and unlike YOU...DALE'S not afraid to let me drive his rig! So I'm hauling the Gremlin, and YOU are on your own!"
"Were you in on this double cross as well", I questioned Boone.
"I may have suggested it", he managed a weary smile, "not really sure, we're all kinda tired and all...".

Family being what it is, I stuck around until they were nearly loaded before I jumped in the twelve valve and headed out for Ohio. The 1 ton was on empty, so I stopped and grabbed 25 gallons of diesel two miles from Dale's place. I looked down at the receipt before I put it in my wallet, "3:14pm, Whew, three hours behind already!"

100_2122 - Copy.JPG

"Livin' in a powder keg and givin' off sparks" 4 Street cars, 5 Race engines