Dale had only removed his helmet, and flagged me over to help him with the hood.
"What happened", I asked him as I lifted the hood up far enough that he could dive into the carb area with a small wrench.
"This stupid linkage isn't really long enough", he explained as he loosened it to make an adjustment. "So if I adjust it for comfortable idle position on the drive, it won't quite reach full throttle. I forgot to put it back when we arrived, and it wouldn't engage the micro-switch, so no N20!"
I started on the hood fasteners, as he jumped back in, and started putting on his belts.
"You going straight back up?"
"Yeah, I want to see if it works, at least!" He stuck his head out of the open door as he backed up, "Are you going to get another run?"
"I'm going to add some fuel jet on the N20 plate and see if that cleans it up any, then I'll try another one", I explained.
"Better hurry, not many cars up there, they may call it at straight up two o'clock!"

Rachael fired up the 440, let it idle then tagged the button on the shifter. The 440 snapped to four grand almost instantly.
"Oh, yeah...that's much better! I'm going to run up there and kick Uncle Dale's tail now", she added with a giggle as she headed towards the lane in pursuit of the white Gremlin.

Dale and Rachael pulled up to stage at 1:39 pm, exactly four minutes after Dale had staged for his first run. The nitrous applied at .01 after WOT on the Gremlin, and it blew the tires off and turned towards the tree. He lifted, gathered it up and directed it back to the groove, but when he jumped on the pedal again, it didn't engage the nitrous. Rachael had him at sixty foot 1.79-1.93, he was even with her at the 330 clocks when he lifted slightly and slammed the pedal once more, the nitrous hit and the engine changed pitch significantly as the Gremlin lurched ahead of the Belvedere. Dale's 330-1/8th interval was 2.11 to Rachael's 2.51, so he put four tenths on her in that section of the track.

The Gremlin tossed a 10.127 on the board with a booming 154.07 mph, and apparently Rachael was watching the Gremlin instead of paying attention to her own run.
"Lift Rachael, lift...it's on a good run", I implored her from the fence to no avail.
"11.41-114", Boone shook his head, I don't think she got off the bottle until she was in the traps!"
"You going to try another one?"
"I doubt it", Boone shook his head, "I wanted Dale to re-jet the carb on the Duster, but he's too busy trying to figure out the Gremlin, and I don't see a point to running again with it popping like that".
I don't understand why Boone always defers to Dale on the tune-up, he can build a 727 trans blindfolded so he should know his way around a Holley.
"I upped the fuel jet in my plate from 61 to 63...we'll see if that helps, and I think I'll try the trans-brake this time", I explained.
"My .13 covers yours right?" He asked with a wry smile as I walked back towards the Valiant.
"Yeah, your five to my seven, but that's about to change!"

14379605_10154594508492112_6565969925082593800_o - Copy.jpgrach-summit.jpg

"Livin' in a powder keg and givin' off sparks" 4 Street cars, 5 Race engines