The guy looked to be about 65, he got out of the truck slowly and walked back to look at his trailer, then glanced at Dale's Gremlin.
"I'm sorry guys, I guess I didn't see you."
"We're going to need your driver's license, insurance verification, and vehicle registration", Boone shot back, he already had his camera out and was shooting pictures.
"Now guys, let's not get the insurance involved, this is just a simple dragstrip accident..."
Dale, as I mentioned earlier, internalizes anger, and is usually calm and level headed, but he cut him off quickly. "NO! No it's not! YOU are in a street legal, licensed, registered, and insured truck, and you just ran over my street legal, licensed and insured vehicle, so don't even start that crap!"
"Well, I don't want this to go against my insurance, I'd rather just pay, I mean it's not that bad..."
"Get your information out NOW!" Boone was insistent, since it appeared the guy was going to be a jerk about the whole thing.
I was beginning to worry that it was going to be an "us against the trailer park situation", as the number of D-3 bracket racers walking over to see what was going on was increasing. The guy reluctantly handed over all his paperwork and Boone took photos of them.

Dad had wondered off somewhere, and was late to the party, so as soon as he saw what had happened he yelled at the top of his voice, "You stupid son of a, you just screwed up his whole week!" He was headed straight for the guy and Boone and I had to react quickly to screen him off.
"You think this hasn't messed up my weekend?"
Dad heard that and redoubled his efforts to get at the guy.
Dale looked up and pointed at me, "Keep him out of this!"
As if I needed a reminder, but the guy and the onlookers were oblivious to what we were up against. For 63 of Dad's 72 years on this earth, his answer to any conflict or confrontation has been a right cross, and if he got within arms length of this man, he was going to drop him like a sack of potatoes, of that I had no doubt. Boone and I had a good feeling things would escalate quickly from there.
A local racer walked up to Dale and explained, "We called the local police department, and they are going to send a unit out to take a report, if this guy doesn't want to cooperate."
"I'm sure we are going to be able to work it out", Dale gave a slight smile, "but I appreciate that, it might come in handy."

We had pushed the Gremlin back from the trailer, so the guy and Dale were looking over the damage.
"It really doesn't look that bad", the guy commented.
"The chrome around the windshield has been popped loose because you shoved the passenger's fender so far over", Dale pointed.
"This front-end is one piece and removable, with a fabricated tubing tree instead of a core support. All of that is bent, that in turn holds in the aluminum radiator, so the tabs on the tanks are bent, this radiator is going to leak and will need to be replaced. When was the last time you tried to hunt down 40 year old Gremlin parts?"
The guy shook his head, "I see your point, the best I can do is to give you three hundred cash right now, and we will settle up when you get home."
"If we can't agree to an amount then I'm going to turn it in to your insurance", Dale explained.
Boone and I had handed Dad off to Rachael, and she had him putting air in the Belvedere rear tires. Dale seemed to be handling the whole thing far better than I expected. When the guy moved his trailer to the pit spot he was going after it was clear to see what happened. He had been driving down the row beside us, and realized his buddies were one row over and back the other way, so the quickest route was a u-turn right through our pits!

Dale, Darren, and Boone were clearly in shock, and just had no idea where to start to get the Gremlin road worthy again. Luckily a pair of guys from the film crew which had been hired this year to handle the live feed, stopped by and helped out. Big props to these guys from J-Angel Productions, and MotorManiaTV.com for jumping in and lending a hand when it was needed.

E8608D9A-3EC0-418E-A01C-3E34FB3A6D77_zpsj9wrq7fs.jpeg100_2077.JPG100_2080.JPG

"Livin' in a powder keg and givin' off sparks" 4 Street cars, 5 Race engines