Dinner at Buffalo Wild Wings was throwing away an hour and forty-five minutes of drive time, but we felt better, and it was definitely cooler when we made it out to our cars with the day's sun a fading memory. Eleven miles up the road we stopped for fuel, the Belvedere and the Valiant took fifteen and a half gallons between them, and my receipt read 8:43pm. I reminded myself that we hadn't left the track by this point Monday night, so this was progress.

We scooted around the western edge of Toledo on I-475 until we headed due west on US-20. It was a four lane surface street with multiple stop lights though four miles of dense suburbanite shops and restaurants until it devolved into a wonderful little dead straight country two-lane through lush Ohio farmland. The remaining forty miles to Checkpoint #2 seemed to reel off effortlessly for Rachael and I. When we pulled into the crowded and busy parking lot of Phantom Fireworks however, Boone and Dale weren't behind us. There must've been around twenty Drag Week cars on the premises and apparently it was encouraged and possibly even expected that you did a burnout through the intersection upon your departure. I just assumed that the large amount of people with red solo cups were trunk monkeys, or with the Swedes in the rented Cruise America motorhome.

The green 90 Mazda RX7 that was leading Dale and I's class had the front end off and parts scattered everywhere. He had made multiple passes at the end of the day just like us, trying to keep pace with the 7.53 he had ran on Monday, but his best for Tuesday was 7.76, and now they seemed to be battling other issues.

Rachael and I took our required photos and moved out of the way. Dale and Boone limped in about ten minutes later, and needed to borrow the generator and charger for the Duster battery again. It was a little warmer tonight and he had ran the fans almost constantly, so with the addition of the headlights the 50 amp alternator just wasn't keeping up. I was feeling restless, and didn't want to sit there and wait while they charged the battery, so I agreed to run ahead of the pack again. I fired up the Valiant, studied the route map, then did my burnout through the intersection of US-20 and US-127 to appease the Gods of Failed Drag Weekers Past.

IMG_20160913_222313.jpgIMG_20160913_223643.jpg

"Livin' in a powder keg and givin' off sparks" 4 Street cars, 5 Race engines