From the very beginning of the Duster revival project, time and money were stacked against them, and it was obvious some shortcuts would have to be made if the car had any chance of making the show. Dale had installed the Direct Connection kit for moving the springs into the frame rails years ago, but retained the stock slant six Duster leafs. With a 440 for power, Dale recalled that it wasn't the most stable package.
"I found a set of SS springs", he told me on the phone one night as we were having a long distance planning session, "I think they are the 3400 pounders, but they are cheap and the owner brought them to me."
"I'd rather have the Hemi A-body spring. What are those, the 002 and the 003?"
"I get that", he agreed, "but I just need to get this rear-end taken care of as quick as possible. Do you think I need to back brace the 8 3/4 housing?"
"Duh", I laughed into the phone, "Boone wants to go nines right? You need to do everything you can to help it survive! What third member are you guys putting in it?"
"Found a '71 3.91 in a bunch of parts we bought, it's got the 7290 yoke and a sure grip, so it will work", Dale surmised.
"A factory third member with a cone type. Are you crazy?"
"Look, I'm running out of money fast, and I've got to get this thing put together!"
"I understand", I made a decision not to beat him up at that time, "but you know those springs will have it sitting high like an eighties bracket car."
It was his turn to laugh, "It IS an eighties bracket car! With the exception of a big radiator, exhaust, and a tag, that's pretty much exactly what we are throwing together here!"
"What are you doing for rubber?"
28 X 13.50 Hoosier QTPs on ten inch Pro Stars", he recited.
"Still with the Pro Stars, eh?" I had sold him all my old ones ten years ago, and he still seemed to end up with them on every car he had.
"I like to think of them as 'timeless'!" He defended his choice, "I still had a spare set of fours for the front anyway".

PART_1472412493285_IMG_20160828_022601.jpgimagejpeg_0(2).jpg

"Livin' in a powder keg and givin' off sparks" 4 Street cars, 5 Race engines