Boone plotted a course to the nearest auto parts store, to pick up supplies to do an oil change, and Dale scanned through his phone for a hardware store. That left Rachael, Pops, and I on our own to head for the racetrack.
"I've got it entered into my phone, if you just want to follow me", Rachael suggested.
From her first turn, I felt we were going the wrong way, but it wasn't until I saw the Speedway looming in front of us that I realized her mistake. I quickly drove the Valiant past the Belvedere, motioned for her to follow me and pulled into a nearby gas station.
I jumped out and approached her door with a shake of my head and a smile, "Jay, we are going to Lucas Oil Raceway, not Indianapolis Motor Speedway!"
She grabbed her phone and changed the desired location, "Aha...and that is in the exact opposite direction!"

Ten minutes into the Class Car session, Jason Doisher's turbo ls powered Mercury wagon bled fuel all over the burnout area, when an injector o-ring failed. Fifteen minutes later David Pearson's 70 Charger broke something in the driveline at the launch, and had to be pushed behind the wall. At almost 9:00 AM, nearly forty minutes into the session Matt Grant's low eight second 07 Mustang put out a huge fog bank of oil smoke from the 330 on, as it struggled to a 10.0 run, and came to rest at the emergency turn-off. It appeared to have an under hood fire when it stopped, but thanks to Matt's quick thinking, and two diligent track workers they extinguished it quickly. Minutes before that it had been announced that the first session would end at precisely 10:00AM, but the resulting clean-up took forty-seven minutes. Lonnie Grimm's adjustment was announced five sets into resumed racing, as Brian let everyone know that the cut-off was extended to 10:30.

The next pair up was David Meyer, in his "Northern Bel" 66 Plymouth and Ray Meyers in his "Black Pearl" 67 Barracuda. Ray has an uncanny knack for working his way back up for a second hit when he needs one that defies the odds, but whether it's muscle (his co-pilot is huge) or money (perhaps a well placed twenty to a racer or track official), he's certainly not going to divulge his secret to me! Both of them ran near best numbers, and were ready to start their final journey to the home track.

14324147_10154599377927112_111243905747660790_o.jpgMatt Grant.jpgMeyer-Meyers.jpgMeyer 2.png

"Livin' in a powder keg and givin' off sparks" 4 Street cars, 5 Race engines