After the first eighty cars in thirty-five minutes of the SME session, I began to see guys coming back for a second run. That meant there were at least twenty-five cars in that class that weren't ready to enter the lanes when the group was initially called, with Rachael and the Shelby Dodge Auto Club guys among them.

Like his Uncle, Dillon Ogle had to return for another attempt after smoking the tires and getting his dad's Yellow Cuda completely out of shape in the first sixty feet. His second attempt was a 12.05 at only 98 mph, but he elected to take it and move on towards Martin. Susan Slater's Scat Pack 2015 Challenger ran a 12.35-111 to match the 12.36 she had turned in at National Trail, and Craig Douglas' 2015 Hellcat Charger went 10.40-132 in a heads-up race against Jay Williams' 2013 Nickey ZL-1 Camaro which lost with a 10.71-132.

Rachael ran an 11.97-113 on her first attempt in the Belvedere, and she was ready to go turn in her slip, but I told her to run again.
"Dad, I have no shot at the quick 32, and nothing to prove, so why do I need a better run? We took an 11.95 yesterday", she explained, as she waved the time slip at me.
"The best five day average for the Belvedere is 11.96, on the first year you drove it. You know the brothers and I are probably going to still be making runs when they cut off the back of the lanes, so you might as well take another crack at it, because I want a better average this year!"

I had the quick latch repaired and the grille almost screwed back in place when Darren finally arrived at the track and offered to help me.
"I thought you would be out here before us since you actually got some sleep last night!"
"Would've been", Darren explained, "But Dale called and asked us to drive over to your motel and pick up little Billy's phone and charger."
"That was a good little drive, I'd have just left it there and asked them to mail it to him".
Darren laughed, "Good idea, but he was the one who took the checkpoint pictures, so Boone and Dale needed that phone to turn in their time slips".
"Wow, that could have been interesting", I shook my head.
We looked up as all six of the angry little Mopar four cylinder cars headed toward the lanes nose to tail.

092-2016-drag-week-hot-rod-summit-race-gallery.jpg087-2016-drag-week-hot-rod-street-machine-eliminator.jpg092-2016-drag-week-hot-rod-street-machine-eliminator.jpg

"Livin' in a powder keg and givin' off sparks" 4 Street cars, 5 Race engines