Ahh, the candle factory scene...
As we were getting close the the candle factory checkpoint, the amp gauge on the GTX was reading negative. I stopped and looked under the hood, and found that the big long bolt that attaches the alternator to the cast iron Hemi head had sheared off even with the head. I suspected that maybe this affected the ground if the other attachment points were corroded, and thus the no-charge situation. I tightened up the other bolts, started the car, and the amp gauge swung way positive.

At the checkpoint, we were asking around, trying to find a new bolt and some tools to remove the broken stub. Eddie Miller looked at it and suggested putting a nut on the busted end of the bolt for now to tie things together, then at least I could continue without using an easy out. Good idea. So we found a nut and did that, but then upon restarting, the system failed to charge again. I am the kind of guy who likes to go through a logical diagnostics procedure and pinpoint what exactly is wrong before I start replacing parts. Since we had previously solved what appeared to be a ground issue, we ran a wire from the negative terminal on the battery directly to the alternator case. That didn't work. Next I wanted to full field the alternator to isolate whether the fault was in the alternator or elseware. But I couldn't remember if this alternator needs 12V+ or ground to full field it. I tried to find the answer via google on my phone, but the internet connection was excruciatingly slow, google was being stupid, trying harder to sell me stuff than to provide useful information, and my cell battery was almost dead. By then, we had about a half a dozen or more very well meaning helpers, trying to lend a hand, and half of them insisting that they knew exactly what was wrong, and that I should do this or do that, or they'll go get this or that for me. So even though I appreciated all the help, (and I knew I might end up needing it), I was getting a little frustrated with the nonstop barrage. Add that to being mad at my phone, I had to take a step back and calm down and resign myself to letting a crowd of people poke at my car.
Eventually I got the info I needed from the web, and jumped 12V+ to the spade terminal on the original date coded alternator, and proved it was faulty. The crowd cleared away, and Jeff stayed with the car while a local guy gave me a lift to autozone, arriving right before they closed. They didn't have the right alternator on hand, and I thought about about staying in that town for the night and trying to find one in the morning. But then with a little more internet research, I found a later model alternator that would bolt in but required a wiring modification. Amazingly they had the long bolt in stock too. 45 minutes later, I was very happy to be back on the road with the headlights shining bright!

alternator fix.jpg

[img]http://i.imgur.com/boeexFms.jpg[/img]
31 Plymouth Coupe, 392 Hemi, T56 magnum
RS23J71
RS27J77
RP23J71
RO23J71
WM21J8A
I don't regret the things I've done. I only regret the things I didn't do.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. ~ Plato"