I let Rachael take the lead as we left Martin, and it wasn't long before I was at 3200 rpm just trying to keep her in view. We covered a hundred and five miles, including state routes and a few stop light to stop light towns in just a tick over two hours. Google maps claims you can do it in an hour and fifty-seven minutes without traffic; there was traffic, and plenty of it.
We pulled into La Paz Indiana, and fueled up both cars while Rachael went in and grabbed us some Arby's. She brought it out and handed Dad and I our orders, then plopped back behind the wheel of the Belvedere.
"We don't have time to sit down and eat?" Dad shrugged his shoulders at me as we both cleaned our windshields.
"I guess not Dad", I shook my head, "She must have a hot date in Indy!"

It was 11 miles to Checkpoint #1, a restored Mobil Gas station in Plymouth Indiana, our instructions had the line, "building is locked but everything can be observed from the windows" on it, but apparently the proprietor had heard about what was going on and had the place wide open, with a bunch of friends gathered, and was enjoying all the cars coming through like it was a major holiday! He invited us to drive a block off the route to check out his old time garage, malt shop, and barber shop as well, but we decided to move on.

I called Boone, and he explained that they had stopped to switch cars, then lost a phone, then stopped to eat, and basically they were already fifty miles behind us.

100_2051.JPGIMG_20160914_223114 - Copy.jpg001-2016-drag-week-hot-rod-gassers-road.jpg

"Livin' in a powder keg and givin' off sparks" 4 Street cars, 5 Race engines