The remaining twenty-five miles to checkpoint #2 went by easily until we arrived right in the heart of Mansfield. A series of one way streets near the park that was our checkpoint might be easily navigated in a comfortable sedan when you are wide awake, but when I found myself making a hasty exit from driving up a one-way backwards only to realize I was driving up another one backwards, I pulled into a small parking lot to get my bearings, with Dale in the Gremlin right behind me.
We jumped out and stretched our legs, as we studied the route sheet. We could hear the sound of the Belvedere and the Duster echoing off nearby buildings, but couldn't see them.

"Left onto South Diamond, left onto east Park, left at South Main, left at South Park", Dale read from the sheet pointing as he went.
"That's just a big circle", I retorted, "we're going to end up in front of this building we are parked beside!"
I walked twenty yards to the end of the building just in time to see Boone and Rachael enter the Parkway from the opposite end.
I went back to Dale and explained, "All we have to do is drive across that grass and jump the curb, then we will be there".
"Or, we could drive around this route, come into the park the same way they did, and not hang a header on a curb, rip the exhaust off, and be working under the car for the next two hours!"
I slumped my shoulders, "I'll follow you then".

100_2017.JPG

"Livin' in a powder keg and givin' off sparks" 4 Street cars, 5 Race engines