Thanks guys, the input is much appreciated, as I can only scratch the surface of most of the stories that arise as Drag week unfolds.

They were fifteen minutes into the clean-up after Schroeder's accident when it was announced we were fifteen minutes from closing the back of the lanes. Since it would take longer than that before cars were sent down the track again, it was obvious that all of us remaining would only get one shot at the 1320. I kept peering towards the mouth of the lanes, waiting to see the Gremlin roll back in, but it never did.
Right before they gave the signal to resume sending cars down. Lohnes made one of his public service announcements at the request of a racer seeking parts help. "Dale Gebhart in the white Gremlin is looking for an intermediate shaft for a 440 mopar."
"That's the shaft that meshes with the cam, then drives the oil pump and the distributor", Freiburger explained.

I saw Darren walking from the back of the tower, so I stepped over to have a quick word.
"What happened", I asked him as he was walking up to the fence.
"Snapped the end off that drives the oil pump, probably should have changed the oil before he ran!"

14555541_558223271034854_1288328940_n.jpg

"Livin' in a powder keg and givin' off sparks" 4 Street cars, 5 Race engines