Quote:

Quote:

Your car doesn't look complete without a steering wheel. Or a headliner. Or the left front fender. Or a fendertag.

A fender tag is not a part of the car so its an inappropriate comparison. Sure it is.

Quote:

Also, like Bill's example, some are too rusted to put back on a nice resto.

So if its "too rusted" how do you know a "reproduction" tag will be correct?What if it does look like crap but is still legible?

Quote:

I don't argue that down the road the repros will be passed as originals and that is plainly, in my mind, dishonest, immoral, and fraudulent. But, 'legitimate reasoning' is subjective; in your mind my reasoning may not pass your scrutiny. And vice-versa.

So if you agree that the "reproduction" tags will be passed off as originals down the road arent you just supporting a future fraudulent act by not making it obvious that it is a non-original tag? Perhaps some "extra stamping" that would make it plain to a blind man that it was in fact not the original? Make it obvious by dimension or addition of text or code. Easy enough.

Jim, My post was specific to 1Wild's question about a legitimate reason as to why someone would want to reproduce a tag.

Read my response only in the context of 1Wild's question. It IS part of the car. I am not advocating fakes or reproductions. I said that I don't agree with the assertion that it is ALWAYS about $$.

dstryr, since 1986.