Quote:

Why is it every other piece on the car could be fake (excuse me, I mean reproduction) like fenders, hood, emblems, etc., but a repro tag is not a repro, but fake? When you sell your car, do you tell the buyer this and that are not original parts but fake ones?

The car collection hobby has been around a long time (AACA was founded in 1935). For most of that time, the rare and higher value collectibles couldn't readily be cloned (think Deusenberg or V-16 Cadillac), and no one cared if you restored a Model A by piecing together half a dozen different cars.

All that changed when relatively ordinary production cars became highly valuable based on a few bolt-on factory options (i.e., muscle cars). Because all the basic mechanical and structural components of the collectible versions of these regular production cars are readily available elsewhere, and the small pieces can be readily re-produced, it is quite easy to produce a mechanical and visual clone of a high-dollar collectible. Since the mechanical and cosmetic ingredients which define muscle cars aren't sufficiently unique, the value of a high-dollar muscle car ultimately depends not on the mechanical or cosmetic parts that made them desirable in the first place, but on the only things that give them a supposedly "unique" identity (and high value) - a few stamped numbers and some paper.

Now, you can get your panties in a wad about how easy it is to fake documentation (like most on this muscle-car board do), or maybe you can think it's kinda dumb to have such a value system in the first place.

Your choice.