Quote:

Don1 I have always admired the way you are able to build engines and go racing on a budget. I am much the same way. Always have been, always will be. But with regards to Hughes statement about not helping with someone else's problem, well I just can't agree with that. I own a pest control business that has been very successful. We are constantly getting calls from other companies customers asking us to help with advice in fixing the initial problem that the company they hired couldn't. Rather than blame the customer because they hired Joe Blow's company, we spend the time trying to help and in return we sometimes get nothing more than a thank you. But in other cases we gain a new customer. I don't feel that customers should be penalized for possibly making a bad decision, but rather helped in solving their problem. It's just good customer relations. I am in no way criticizing you Don, but sometimes being a business owner requires a little give and take. I guess the way I see it Hughes seems to be a little bit more on the take side.
Tom

But as for the other I have been in both the automotive business and the RV business where people have driven 100 miles to save $50.00 on a new vehicle or RV purchase then come to us to have a rattle or door adjusment fixed or in the case of RV's a carb or track adjustment that are the selling dealers responsabilty. Then expect us to do it for nothing cause it is a new vehicle. If we had been the selling dealer it would have been a freebee but not being the selling dealer they get charged for it and they can return to the dealer and try to get reimbursed. Warrenty work the same way, we have to do it but it doesn't say when. Our own customers come first. There are exceptions like tourists and so on. But to those people who think that they can drive awhile and save a buck then get imediate service on dealer freebies then they better go back to the dealer that they bought it from.
I have had the same thing happen to me on appliances, something broke and we are from another town and take it in to get fixed fuly expecting to pay to fix and get asked the "did you buy it here?" even when it is a brand that they sell. So that is not that uncommon a statement.
In Hughes statement I think that they were referring to other brand problem questions that were bought through the other supply houses. I think that were you to by a Hughes product from one of their supplying dealers that they would help you out.

Clean it, if it's Dirty. Oil it, if it Squeaks. But: Don't fix it, if it Works!