Shared my Hughes experience before, but thought I'd share it again as it fits well in this thread...

My 496" with 1.6 ratio Hughes rockers killed a Hughes 4449 hydraulic on break-in (probably the one Lightstream refers to earlier in this thread, as it had 11-12 lobes wiped - If so, Dave's excuses are total nonsense). Dave blamed builder, builder blamed Hughes. No warranty by Hughes. No more Hughes stuff for me.

After disassembly and more $$$ (bearings, oil pump, etc.), the same builder Hughes blamed installed a Comp Cams 292H with the 1.6 rockers with no break-in problems, and it survived 10 successful subsequent dyno pulls. HP/Torque peaked too soon. Due to schedules etc., another builder installed a Comp Cams 305H with no problems before the 496 went in the Charger. 7100 miles of daily driven fun later it is still running great.

Hughes still owes me $80.00 for the deposit I made on the pushrod and dummy lifter I mailed to them along with their flat cam and trashed lifters.

Am I bashing Hughes for stating the facts of my dealings with them and their product?

The 440 in my '69 GTX project has the new XE275HL Comp Cams hydraulic, one of the "High Lift" series camshafts designed with faster ramps and for the .904" Mopar lifter. Also Cuda440 on the board is running the Comp Cams XE295HL hydraulic in his 496 RB stroker, and was pleased with the power it made on the dyno.

My car club: hpacmopar.com
1971 Charger R/T, 496" RB Stroker, Auto, Driven Daily