We had drove about 1/2 way through town, and it was becoming increasingly evident that Darryl had no clue where we were, it was completely dark, and the intermittent rain made street signs difficult to read. Finally he came up to a large intersection and he motioned me along side. Boone just happened to notice a Cheddars restaurant across the intersection, and said, "that will work over there!"
So I told Darryl to follow us and we would re-group after eating. The six of us had a great meal, great conversation, and even though it took the pretty blonde waitress ten minutes, and help from her bus boy, to explain how to get to the motel, no one seemed to mind. We were just finishing up when Boone's phone rang and Dad was asking how to get to the motel!
"Where are you guys at right now?" I heard Boone ask.
At that moment, I heard the sound of an overcammed 440 coming to an idle through 3 inch exhaust, and I looked out the window, "They are at our intersection", I told Boone, "So just give them the same instructions, the waitress just gave us."
"I think I can pare it down a little bit" He assured me.

Dad, and Darren were already at the motel when we arrived, milling around checking out all the Drag Week cars and people in the lot. I grabbed my bag, and headed straight for check in, straight to the room, straight to the shower, and straight in bed, oblivious of what any one else was doing to get situated. I was out as soon as my head hit the pillow.

2:30AM, I was wide awake, tossed and turned a few times and was luckily able to go back out. When it happened again at 4:30AM I knew it was futile to even try. I crawled out of bed took another shower, dressed, packed all my stuff, and walked out of the room. At 6:00, I called Dad, who was in the other room, and he answered on the first ring.
"You the only one up?" I asked.
"Yeah...I'm ready to go, should I get these guys moving?"
"Probably better, we need to give ourselves time to get organized before the driver's meeting."
"Ok son, I guess I'll take my stuff out to the car after I get them up."
"I'll meet you out there", I confirmed.

We walked out in the parking lot, and Dad pointed to a gold 71 Challenger in the corner.
"Did you see that car last night?" he asked me.
"Not really, I just went to the room".
"Those guys were out here under the dash...I think they practically re-wired the whole car last night!"
The sun wasn't up yet, but the Challenger was under a light, "stick car" I commented. "I like it Dad, but what the heck is a Fratzog?"
"I don't have a clue, son!"

"Livin' in a powder keg and givin' off sparks" 4 Street cars, 5 Race engines