The header builder had marked the extensions left and right with marker, but that didn't survive the coating process, so Boone had frantically moved them side to side to get it right, and at long last the header and exhaust installation was a success. Boone and I turned to bleeding the brakes, and nearly every union and fitting I had screwed in leaked! We always give Dale a hard time about "Strong-arming" every bolt he tightens, but on this night he was able to give it back.
He was literally falling asleep under the dash, but told Boone, "You better work me as much as you can tonight, I'm spending all day tomorrow on the Gremlin!"
"I thought you had to work tomorrow?" I interjected.
"Nope, took it off, only way I could see us making it", he surmised.
My phone rang, it was Darren, "Dave, what's the number or e-mail where you tell HotRod you aren't going to make it?"
"DragWeek at HotRod.com, I believe", I deadpanned.
"Alright...I'm just not gonna kill myself, this is ridiculous, I've spent 2 hours just to build one fuel line! I'm not going to stay up every night this week just to half do this thing!" he exclaimed
"I understand, I don't blame you...just send them a maessage so they can let someone else in." Dead level, no emotion, he could shake that worm in front of me, I wasn't biting.
"OK, talk to you later", he hung up.
"Who was that?" Boone asked.
"Darren", I stared at him, "Said he was giving up!"
"Blatant call for help!", came Dale's muffled voice from under the dash, "Did you fall for it?"
"Not this time", I sighed, "maybe tomorrow".
I excused myself and headed for bed. Boone grabbed up his pile of papers and proceeded to call out wire colors and pin numbers to Dale.

The header caps, the chief inspector approved.

7864948-100_0885.jpg (117 downloads)

"Livin' in a powder keg and givin' off sparks" 4 Street cars, 5 Race engines