Boone and Dad rolled in to our location about twenty minutes later, so we sent Rachael and the old man ahead in the Belvedere. Darren showed up with the Charger about twenty minutes after that, and Dale gave a honk as they stayed on I-40 and kept rolling. He pulled directly onto the trailer and shut it off.
"It was actually doing pretty good!" He smiled when he jumped out.
I loaded up the Satellite behind the Charger, and went to the c-store to get one more 24oz coffee for the road. They had both of them tied down when I got back. It seemed to tow much better, until the coffee starting wearing off. We ended up passing the big rig with James behind the wheel on the other side of Memphis. The sun, fatigue, and the need to get rid of the 48oz of coffee all caught up with me at Jackson Tennessee. I pulled into a Loves, with Darren and Boone in the 1 ton right behind me, but James kept the hammer down. We had put another 183 miles away, but I was a shot fighter.
I came out after paying for my fuel, with another coffee, and Boone was making himself comfortable behind the wheel of my truck. "I got some sleep on the last pull, why don't you ride with Darren for a while". I didn't need anyone to twist my arm!
I woke up to the sound of Darren laughing.
"What's up?", I looked around to gather my bearings, a sign proclaiming 12 miles to Nashville was my first clue.
"Boone is getting abused by that trailer, it's the tail wagging the dog!" He explained.
I looked ahead, "Good Greif! It didn't look like that while you guys were following me did it?"
"Nope, not even close"
It took me two calls and fifteen miles to get him to pull over and let me take over again.

Dad and Rachael were already at Beech Bend, and had already put the Belvedere in the tech line. That's the first hurdle of Drag Week. The car must be in the tech line by 2PM., doesn't matter if they can't tech you in until 5, doesn't even matter if it passes tech, they'll let you fix the problem before you run Monday, but it must be in that line! 1 down, 4 to go... I was breathing a little easier.

7879800-barnyard2.jpg (93 downloads)

"Livin' in a powder keg and givin' off sparks" 4 Street cars, 5 Race engines