I jacked the rearend back into ride height position and pulled the driveshaft clear, then let it back down...hmmm, not as much travel as I would have thought, seems as though those "new shocks all the way around" Boone was telling me about when he sold me this boat, may be a bit on the short side. 741 case, darn it! not a good candidate for a new gear ratio. The driveshaft was not a factory unit, and appeared to be a very nice piece, with exception of the small joints.

The Satellite
Ever since Dale bought the Satellite from Stock Eliminator engine builder Jimmy Lewis in Vian Ok, and decided to take it on Drag Week 2011, it has been the "little brother" to the Belvedere. The Belvedere gets the new parts, and the Satellite gets the hand me downs. My plan is no different. The Belvedere will get the Dana 60, and a new 1350 driveshaft, and the Satellite will get the best parts from the two 8 3/4's and whats left. So I jacked up the rear end to take a look at what I had to work with. First thing I noticed was, despite both cars being equipped with the staggered leaf hemi springs, the competition engineering shocks on the Satellite let the rear end travel much further. 2nd thing I noticed was a big yoke 489 case third member...now we are talking! Next thing, combination u-joint in the back with one of those hideous stock drivelines that is skinny on the ends, fat in the middle, and has that funky looking piece at the rear, with small yokes again, sheesh! 12.40's on that stuff? My brothers are far braver than I am!

7793940-100_0862.jpg (76 downloads)

"Livin' in a powder keg and givin' off sparks" 4 Street cars, 5 Race engines