When I left the 2008 NHRA Divisional Finals at LVMS, I had a just purchased 93 diesel 1 ton, towing the two car trailer with the Challenger sporting a borrowed engine, the Valiant wrecked, friendships and credit cards strained to the breaking point, and the national economy in a full-blown crisis. I haven't raced an NHRA National or Divisional event since. The Challenger hasn't ran since. It wasn't "the plan", it's not what I expected, it's just... reality.
I've tried to sell the Challenger on several occasions over the last year, even as I've still continued to gather parts and have work done on it for it's eventual return. Race car prices are just terrible right now, and it doesn't help that tracks seem to be shutting down almost daily!
I sold the "restoration project" Challenger out of my back yard, finally admitted to myself that I'm a racer, a street grinder, and that pipe dream of a beautiful restored muscle car would never happen. Through a progression of trades, purchases, and family deals, I gave up the 70 Cuda, and sold a 69 Dart I had acquired in order to get the 67 Belvedere from Boone, and to be completely honest, if the only thing to ever come out of that was sharing Drag Week 2012 with my Daughter, it was worth it!

Last week I was presented with the opportunity to trade the Challenger race car for the 66 Satellite that Dale took on Drag Week 2011, and boot. I tried to dissuade Dale's friend from making the deal, but he apparently wants it more than I do at this point. When he arrives later this week, and the deal is done, I will be without an E-body for the first time since 1985. I will also be without the car that I've made 55% of the passes down a dragstrip in, of my entire life. Both Dale, Boone, and my Wife have all made the observation that I may look back and realize that I'm selling the best racecar I may ever own, to which I answered all of them, "You may turn out to be right...and I think I'm okay with that".
At least I think I will be. What the heck am I doing?
This picture has been my PC wallpaper, since we returned from DragWeek 2011, now I'm going to own all 3...how weird is that?

7744623-068-Copy.JPG (117 downloads)

"Livin' in a powder keg and givin' off sparks" 4 Street cars, 5 Race engines