Dale pulled into his backyard a little later, put down the ramps, and backed the Gremlin down them until the rear tires were on the ground. We used what little daylight was left to check out the new "exhaust". My observation was that a 4" 90 degree bend takes up too much room! Part of his brand new collector had to be whacked off to allow the exhaust to suck in and snake past the trans mount, once that was accomplished (more like a 60 into a 60) it had about a foot of straight pipe into 16" bullets with turndowns just in front of the ladder bars. I backed up and looked at the door opening, "Those turndowns are before the back of the door!" I exclaimed.
"There just is no room", Dale shook his head, "He said if I want to buy some oval pipe later maybe he can get creative!"

James Gilliland walked in the back yard with a large gym bag under one arm and asked when we were leaving. He was greeted with an equal dose of laughter and icy stares. James had foolishly agreed to be Dale's trunk monkey/co-driver on this adventure. Equally foolish was his decision to come over to Dale's on Friday afternoon instead of some 24 hours later! If you are concerned about James' judgment at this time, let me confirm your reservations! We kind of consider him an unofficial 5th brother, not because of the closeness of his relationship with us, but because of how many car and car part trades he has had within the family! Dad's Duster, used to be his, the 508 short block in Boone's Barnyard Viper...yep. He had both traded for, and traded away the worn yella Satellite that I took to Drag Week this year, and yes he has seen the "Family Math" in action, and for some unknown reason keeps coming around!
I helped Dale get his front clip slid into place on the Gremlin, then left James to help him with anything else, because Boone motioned me over to the drivers door. Heavy lifting is not my favorite part of building a car, especially not when you are being yelled at to hold still while someone lines up bolts, but I've done quite a few lousy things to him in his youth, and guilt is a strong motivator!

7874285-SAM_2040.JPG (166 downloads)

"Livin' in a powder keg and givin' off sparks" 4 Street cars, 5 Race engines