I walked into the shop for a quick assessment, because when Darryl rolled through two weeks ago, he had told me he doubted if either the Truck or Gremlin would make it. First look didn't instill any confidence in me, either. The Truck was ready to go from the tailgate to the back of the cab, but the cab was virtually empty. The front of the truck looked fairly complete, even without the headers, but the more I looked the more concerned I became. The master cylinder was dry, and nothing was attached to it on the outside. No lines, no line lock, no proportioning valve. There wasn't any throttle linkage. Boone was in the cab laying down hushmat on the bare floorboard.
"Boone, you gonna use the manual linkage, or cable for the throttle?" I held up the two examples lying on the fender.
He never even looked up, "Don't know yet, that's a decision to be made later."
"Later?", I lifted one hand and counted my fingers, "Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday... not many laters left!"

Mom walked out to the shop about that time, and gave Rachael and I a hug. "Boone, what did you want me to take to the UPS Store?"
He came out of the truck like a shot, "Oh Yeah! We've got to get Dale's balancer shipped out!"
Dale's initial test drive of the Gremlin a week earlier ended in a wrrr, Kunk-klunk sound each time he shut off the engine, and a vibration while it was running. He had tracked it down to his 440 Source fluid style dampener, which was year old, but had never been run before. Subsequent conversations with 440 Source had led to the solution that they would ship him a new one, as soon as he could give them a tracking number for the one being returned.
I walked over and looked at the Gremlin, with it's front clip thrown upside down on a table, the radiator sitting on wooden blocks, and half of the front of the engine torn off. The shiny new headers have no exhaust attached to them, the interior has only one seat, no seat belts, and a river of wire in the floorboard. The overwhelming thought in my head..."Get in your truck and head to Bowling Green, NOW!"

7859085-100_0877.jpg (113 downloads)

"Livin' in a powder keg and givin' off sparks" 4 Street cars, 5 Race engines