Mom came out on the back porch with a towel, black case, and a folding chair. "Boone get over here, it's time!" He dutifully walked away from the front of the truck where he and James were discussing the final fit and finish of the throttle cable bracket, which was on it's fourth revision by this time.

I watched Darren hand Dale a black lump that I could tell was massively carbon fouled from forty feet away. I also knew he had been trying to get us to order him plugs for three days in a row earlier in the week, so he certainly didn't have an extra set. I pulled a tool bag out of the Satellite which had my extra parts in it. I had a brand new set of NGK 6s that I had already promised to Darryl, but I thought I had another set that had only been fired once. I found a set of four 6s that had a little corrosion on them, and a set of four 7s that were perfect, but the packaging was beat to heck.
"Hmmm, he's been up all night, doubt he'll even notice", I thought to myself. Should be a nice little experiment to see which heat range handles the street, and the Nitrous later on...what do I care? I walked over and placed the 7s on the passenger fender. "Try these", I said as I took the set of 6s over to the wire wheel. Once they were cleaned up, I laid them on the driver's side, confident he would just screw them in without looking.

Dale moved from the Charger to the truck, and hooked up the timing light, his snap-on doesn't read well through the massive taylor 10.8 wires, so he rigged up an 8mm for #1. James fired the 440, and Dale re-set the timing while running it for another five minutes to finish cam break-in. Then we idled it down and played with the throttle linkage. Once the engine was shut off, James complained about the linkage sticking and not returning over center.
"Thing hasn't been used in 10 years, maybe a little lubrication would work?" Dale questioned.
I grabbed a can of spray silicone lubricant, shot all the areas that moved, and it cleared up any hesitation in the return action immediately.

"Dave, it's your turn!" Mom hollered.
"I'm not 12 any more Mom!" I retorted.
"Get over here and get your haircut, right now!"
I dropped my hat on a table, pulled my shirt off, and walked head down over to the folding chair.

Boone rejoined the fray, and convinced Darren to push the Charger back to allow the Barnyard to get free from the garage. Once they had it out, the hood was bolted on, and the old girl was ready for a test drive. I looked at my phone, 2:45 pm, sheez, we were never getting away from here!

7878183-100_0891.jpg (152 downloads)

"Livin' in a powder keg and givin' off sparks" 4 Street cars, 5 Race engines