Originally Posted by moparx
the differences between the 1989 and the 1979 van almost makes it unfeasible to try to make the ac fit.
if it were mine, i would look at one of those universal, under dash kits that are everywhere.
i realize the dog box will be in the road, so some creative duct work would be needed, unless you get a direct fit kit.
without having the vans in front of me, or pictures of the dash setups and many other things, i can't really offer much advice on the ac swap.
if the 89 van transmission is the hydraulic controlled A518, i would seriously consider swapping that transmission into your 79 van. that shouldn't be too difficult a job to do.
beer

I said I'd be back with pics of the a/c units and here I am...
They look pretty close if not, the same...
I forgot to take pics of the compressor but they're pretty much the same... I'll post pics of that later...

Well, looks the same that's why I was asking about it... It unfortunately looks like whoever had the vehicle in the past messed with the HVAC system... I'd be willing to try and swap it either way. I have one of those cheap a/c system pump kits... I also have a flush kit... assuming all hoses are good, the compressor works and it's complete then this might be compatible!
I'm not getting started on it yet so let's put a pin in this...

Right now I just need to replace the ujoint and straps in my driveshaft before anything else...

IMG_20220111_173823239.jpgIMG_20220111_173859950.jpg