Originally Posted by RustyDuster
As A12 explained that is the choke pull off and the little diaphragm in there is most likely broken. You can purchase them on Rock auto or alot of places.

I really recommend you perform a detailed rebuild of your Holley Carb, your float height could also be incorrect. Take your time, it's a learning experience and you'll learn alot about the carbs operation. I also would not assume carbs purchased as "rebuilt" were done correctly. I have seen some with missing check weights, etc. You will want to set everything to specs on the carb too. I use the Berry dip and small brushes to get in every passage; also be sure to clean the power piston, it gets gummed up and won't retract. The power valve should come with the kit.

Also be aware that some of those gaskets aren't but cut exactly to spec - the Hygrade kit did not cut out the hole for the air cleaner screw correctly which caused much irritation for me!

As an interesting side note, I saw on Uncle Tony's Garage that some of these Holley castings can warp with time. I didn't know this but it seems to explain some of the things I have seen over the years.

I have a 1978 Dodge Sportsman with the same problem which I haven't licked yet. I haven't performed a compression test yet but am going to. A valve issue could be the culprit as well.

I've been planning on doing a complete tear down and rebuild of this carb for a while now, I just didn't expect it would cause such a problem for me on the first drive in months after all the work I've done...
I bought the Haynes Techbook months ago in anticipation of this rebuild...
The power piston was really dirty, I spent quite a few minutes working carb cleaner and WD-40 through it and now it moves the way it should. I've gotten into the habit of being patient and taking the necessary steps when working on my vehicles.
I live far out in a rural area so I use what I can and I had a bottle of PineSol that I ended up soaking the carb body in. Some videos mention PineSol is very similar to parts dip. I soaked for 24hrs and it definitely came out cleaner but the smell is retched and would prefer never to use PineSol ever again!
For the gaskets I ordered a Carter kit so hopefully they know what they're doing... Hopefully the carb is the only issue for now...

I've noticed during the tear down that I'm "missing" some parts and want to find out if it's intentional or I'm going to need them for the carb to work properly. I mean it always worked but I could always tell that it was off a bit and not working as well as it should...
Ok, the first part I noticed "missing" is the 'needle and seat baffle' and the other part is the 'pump discharge needle valve'. The exact model carb I have is a Holley 2210(I think, I might be wrong though) and I'm not sure if those two parts matter or not? I'm more concerned about the 'discharge needle valve'....

IMG_20211117_095734.jpgIMG_20211117_095740.jpg
Last edited by B300 VanDanage; 11/17/21 01:23 PM.