Originally Posted by poorboy
Dan, Several different carbs will bolt onto your intake and will function well. from about 1966 through 1983, These carbs used on the 360, 383 and 400 had more air flow and were a larger size then the carbs used on the 273 to 318 motors The smaller 318 carb and the larger 360 carb do not interchange. Mopar used either a Carter Carb in the early years and switched to Holey carbs in 74, I think, probably due to the emissions enforcement Both the larger Carter and the Holley both fit the intake and back then were not a difficult thing to interchange, I think the rerouting of the gas line was about the hardest part of the swap.

I suspect the biggest difference between the Holley carbs off a 360 and the Holley carbs off a 383 or 400 was probably the jets and the metering rod diameter. Over the course of time, several things changed inside the Holley carbs. I used the generic carb kits because those had all the gaskets and I would just use the gaskets that matched the carb in hand at the time. As the production dates of the vehicles and their OEM carbs moved on, the amount of adjustments the average person could make disappeared. The early 70s carbs were much more adjustable then the late 70s carbs were. Also of note is that many of the adjustments on the late 70s and early 80s carbs were more complicated to do correctly. It is my opinion that the earlier carbs were better carbs, but time has not done them any favors. Worn throttle bushings has become a huge problem with carbs and those worn throttle bushing have become a vacuum leak that is hard to detect. Gene

Alright Gene... everybody else... I have great news! It's alive! boogie penguin Santa4 It was the distributor the whole time! With all the work I did cleaning and readjusting the plugs and especially rebuilding the carb, this thing runs better than it's ever run before!!! Seriously! My van runs so freaking smooth right now!
It use to hesitate and stall out some times and now it seriously runs like a brand new engine! The distributor and the carb were untouched basically since I bought it. I only replaced the needle and seat, the cup and gaskets on the carb when I bought it and also only replaced the cap on the distributor. That work was definitely due on this van and boy it sure paid off!
Thank You Thank You to everyone especially you old schoolers for your plethora of information!

You don't have to send me that carb anymore Gene! I appreciate it very much sir! up

That van has more work that needs to be done on it so I'm sure I'll be back soon...
I'm very thankful for everyone hear on this thread! I couldn't have done it without you all!! cry