Originally Posted by moparx
maybe, maybe not. depending on when and how you visualized the carb squirt.
i had a 74 newyorker stump me with this one time. although it didn't backfire, it ran great, then would just quit. sometimes going down the road, idling, WOT, you never knew when.
i replaced the fuel pump, filter, rebuilt the carb, on and on.
then for some reason, and i can't remember why, i pulled the tank, and found it crusty and the sock plugged.
now i had owned this car for a while, and did not have any problems with it. oil changes, fresh gas all the time , etc.

i know this may be a very LONG shot, but who knows ? shruggy
just throwing something out there that may, or may not be even remotely related.

and i just thought of something else that bit me in the azz one time, causing similar problems. my cousin Charlie's model A hot rod.
that turned out to be a PLUGGED "vented" gas cap ! shock
same deal. run good, good carb stream, then poof ! quit ! ....... fire up ok right after, then same thing.

as 'ol Cab says, "that DADGUMMED Murphy guy !" rant panic biggrin
beer

I guess it's possible... I'll put that on the list of things to check...
It's looking like I'm going to have to pull the carb and rebuild again anyway because the gaskets are swamped with fuel! I know I torqued the screws tight enough and the new gaskets match the old gaskets, except for the one that meets the carb at the manifold.
I have to flatten the surfaces anyway and get rid of the rtv I guess... I'll be ordering a Walker kit because they give you ALL the gaskets! The Carter kit I just bought only comes with the ones for that exact model but somehow give you the wrong carb to manifold gasket for the 2210!