Originally Posted by poorboy
As long as you are not loosing coolant (check it cold), I wouldn't worry about it. How much have you driven the van since the motor work was done?

If you are loosing some coolant, the 1st thing I would check would be to be sure all the hose clamp are tight and you don't have a bad/defective hose.

I've been losing coolant for years but that's because I was always struggling with this one bolt on the head. One of the bolts goes through into the water jacket(I think that's what it's called) had a bolt broken in it and I took it to a mechanic to extract. This was years ago when I first got the van. So the mechanic extracted the bolt but didn't leave much thread left and coolant was always leaking out there and onto the exhaust so there always always this sweet smell and coolant leaking. I tried to seal it a bunch of times with rtv#2 with no success until I found out I can use plumbers tape to seal it and it's been holding since!
The other leak I had was at the thermostat housing because the gaskets always split there so that's one of the things I just fixed. I used a gasket and the grey gasket maker(Great stuff) this time and the gasket still split but the sealer seams to be holding so no more leaks currently!

So now that everything is sealed up I hopefully won't be smelling anymore coolant and I'll be able to monitor the fluid level...