Thursday morning, I asked Dad to follow me to Robertson Tire in Owasso, and I took the 1 ton down for 4 new tires, because I knew I had no desire to drive that thing back to Phoenix at 50 mph!
We got back to the house just in time for breakfast, and that's when I gave Dale the news about chassis inspections at the Tulsa track on Saturday. That perked him up right away, "So, you're telling me there's a chance!" he did his best Jim Carrey impression.
"Yeah, a chance it'll have thin bars, the NHRA will black ball the car, and you won't be able to go on Drag Week at all." I shot back. Sometimes I simply can't help myself, why do I get such pleasure from watching my little brothers squirm?
As I expected, both Dale and Boone were on the Dakota almost from the onset, mainly working on wiring and plumbing. Soon, an older long bed pick-up rolled into the backyard, that none of us recognized. It was the painter, who, true to his word, hand delivered the bed sides and tailgate. Shortly after that the Fed-Ex truck dropped off the tires, and a huge fluidyne oil cooler. Darren showed up about an hour later, and it seemed as if he and Dale would spend most of the day plumbing and mounting the oil cooler and trans cooler in front of the radiator. I finished up Dale's lexan, and generally just milled about handing people tools and conversing, until I realized it was about thirty minutes until the tire shop closed, and I'd better go pick up the dually.

8288017-015.JPG (177 downloads)

"Livin' in a powder keg and givin' off sparks" 4 Street cars, 5 Race engines