"Rather than wait for the brothers here", I told Rachael, "let's drive to the next Truck Stop, so we can freshen up a little, then we will let them know where we are".
"OK, sounds good to me!" She nodded.
She took the lead in the Belvedere, and I followed her. Ten miles later we passed a fairly large convenience store on the right, and if anything, she sped up.
I called her on the phone, "Why didn't you stop"?
"You said a truck stop...that was a hole in the wall."
"Which part of I need a bathroom did you not understand."
"You should've been clear, I'll stop at the next one."
I guess she was getting even for all those family vacations when I used to tell the kids, "Hold it, we are making good time". There was literally nothing for the next forty miles until we entered Great Bend. A semblance of daylight was sneaking though the clouds, and it was spitting rain, so the race track wasn't a big priority at the moment. I slid the Valiant up to the curb at the first Casey's we saw, and burst through the door sending early morning commuters scrambling to protect their cups of coffee from being knocked out of their hands as I lumbered towards the bathroom.

Boone and Dale arrived at the checkpoint to get their picture at nearly the same time. Darren was ahead of them, because Dale had missed the turns on the route several times, and Boone felt compelled to wait for him, considering what happened last year after he screwed up the directions.

8322857-SAM_2254-Copy.JPG (118 downloads)

"Livin' in a powder keg and givin' off sparks" 4 Street cars, 5 Race engines