When we returned to the yard and started working on the Valiant, Rachael disappeared into the house, and started throwing leftovers and whatever else she could find together for one more meal before our road trip began in earnest.
So, once again, we eventually found ourselves sitting around Dale's table discussing, what the evening had in store for us.
"We realized", Boone started, "after you guys took off, if the Dakota didn't make it, we had five guys for two cars!"
"Dad could've rode in the trailer!" I decided after careful consideration.
"Thanks Dave, thanks a lot! Nice to know who's on my side", Dad laughed and shook his head.
"So,...What's the plan, when do we know if the Dakota is going or not?" I was using all the brevity I could muster, but it was a subject that had to be broached.
Dale and Boone looked at each other a second, before Dale answered, "Midnight...I think we would have to pull the plug at midnight, and get moving".
"Yeah", that should probably be our line in the sand", Boone agreed.
Dale laughed, and jabbed me in the arm, "Did I tell you about the call I got earlier from Michael Beeler?"
"No, is he having problems with his Dart already?"
"No, he called to ask if they had to follow that stupid route sheet, or could he just drive straight to Topeka!"
Everyone around the table burst into laughter. "Drag Week newbies!" James shook his head.
"What did you tell him?" Dad asked.
"I told him, that's the way the game is played, if he didn't follow the route, why did he waste his time and money to even enter!"
After we finished eating, Dale and James flopped out into the living room floor, and were snoring heavily in unison within a matter of minutes. I told everyone to just leave them for a while as we had plenty to do outside.
James came back out about fifteen minutes later and said Dale's kids were messing with them and had woke him up. I went back in the house to confront them about it, and found Dale face planted across Kelly's bed, so I shut off the light, closed the door, and told everyone to leave him alone.

8304225-44A.jpg (130 downloads)

"Livin' in a powder keg and givin' off sparks" 4 Street cars, 5 Race engines