I dumped in another quart of tranny fluid, and at John Sr.'s insistence pulled a plug, they continued to beat me up for running the thing terribly lean, commenting that it sounded like it quit pulling and flattened out at eight hundred feet.
"This thing has no color anywhere, not on the plug, and not in the pipes!" he shook his head.
John looked at the plug and then stared at the hole I pulled it from, "Are you sure this plug is right for this head?"
"Sure, it's a .750 reach, like I run in all Mopar aluminum heads!"
He showed me the threads on the plug, and it looked as though a few were hanging into the chamber, "now look at the head, does that look like your typical Indy plug hole?"
I had to admit, it looked pretty shallow, "Hmm, something I'll have to look into further when I get home."
I could tell they were less than impressed with the amount of effort I was willing to put forth to pick up the pace, but my head just wasn't in the game at that point!

While going through everything I visited with Moparts member moparpollack, and I'm sure I struck him as a little disengaged as well, I would have enjoyed the opportunity to have an extended bench racing session, but I was worried about the rest of our cars making it. Freiburger and Lohnes were working the microphones in the tower and commenting on Larson's progression towards the track, and all the while I knew he was in close proximity to my brothers. Every time I called them to get an update, I implored them, "Just stay ahead of Larry!"

8315013-DSC05964.jpg (119 downloads)

"Livin' in a powder keg and givin' off sparks" 4 Street cars, 5 Race engines