The next pair up was Boone and Darren. Darren had changed the oil on the Dakota, filled it with water, dumped water over everything, but it was just so heat soaked, that it still seemed to be running hot. When they completed their burn outs, and the Dakota lurched forward, both the starter, and the water box guy ran out beside the truck and did the dreaded kneel down to look under it.
Dale reacted just as quickly and addressed the starter immediately.

Now...you guys know I'm going to tell you what happened, how it happened, but I feel it may be necessary to put this in it's proper context. This is one Okie, making a point to another Okie, as urgently as possible. You've all seen Street Outlaws right? You've seen how those 405 guys talk to each other, and you thought it was just TV drama? You know those Roy D. Mercer "How big an ole' boy are ya" prank calls originated in Tulsa right? OK...so this is how it played out...

Dale walked out to the starter, pointed at the Dakota, and said, "This truck is going to make this pass!"
"I can't let him run, it's dumping water out!"
"Then we are going to blows", Dale paused for effect, "'cause I'm punching you square in the mouth if you back him off!"
The starter looked him in the eye, sized him up, as if to decide if this guy was bluffing, or had just pushed all his chips in the middle. "If he knocks the wall down, it's on YOUR head!"
"I'm good with that!" Dale spun around and removed himself from the situation as his brothers turned on the stage bulbs. The race was neither truck's best effort, but they got numbers, and Boone had bragging rights. Now it was time to move on to the next challenge.

They were picking up their time slips and returning to the pits, but every eye was on the last truck in the lanes, and a good burn out brought everyone to their feet, but a rolled sprag in the Gear Vendors unit was Larson's undoing, and he was saddled with a 20 second time effectively ending his chances to place in Drag Week 2014.

8317850-boonevsdarren.JPG (108 downloads)

"Livin' in a powder keg and givin' off sparks" 4 Street cars, 5 Race engines