Darren finally made it to the lanes for his run at 2:15, losing to Boone yesterday had clearly stuck in his craw, and he took the extra time to make sure he felt the Dakota was dialed in for this run. The truck left soft, but pulled hard in the middle before showing a combination of blue and black smoke as it ran the last 320 feet. The 11.133-120.94 was an improvement, and he seemed satisfied enough.

We decided to open up the headers on the Belvedere, and Dale coached her up on the importance of getting on the bottle right away, since I hadn't returned the Valiant to street trim yet, I decided to drive up with her for a just for kicks pass as well. I ended up ahead of her in the lanes, and spun hard off the line for a 10.91-122.97, exact same MPH as the earlier pass. Rachael nailed the nitrous right at the hit, and blew the drag radials off, fish tailing three times before grabbing second. The 12.37-111.6 was pretty good considering the spinning 2.064 sixty foot time!
When she returned to the pit, she jumped out and said, "The back end got all wiggly in first gear, but I stayed in it!"
Clearly, we need to work on her drag racing slang!

Ten minutes later, as the day was winding down, I was shocked to see Hemi Joel pull his Olds convertible into the water for another pass, as I figured he'd be 100 miles out of town by that time, he laid down a 13.85-95 that was the pass he claimed for Great Bend, but I have no idea why he ran so late in the day.

"Livin' in a powder keg and givin' off sparks" 4 Street cars, 5 Race engines