One lessoned learned with a group this size, is that a caravan style of traveling doesn't really work, if you are constantly waiting for the slowest person in each situation, it just chews up too much time. So, it's better to concentrate on your own car, and keep moving forward if possible in a leap frog type fashion. The key to making this work is staying in contact by phone with everyone in the group, and letting them know as quickly as possible if there is a problem.

"Dad, did Rachael buy fuel yet?"
"Yeah, she filled the tank on the way here to the motel yesterday...last night, whatever it was!"
"Ok", I addressed Boone as well, "I'm going to go fill up the Valiant, and come back to see if everyone is ready to go, but if they get around before then, go on without me and I'll catch up".
The station across from the motel apparently closed at midnight. I pulled in and all the lights were on, so I ran my card and started pumping, I had about 75 cents in the tank when all the lights shut off, the pump stopped, and the clerk walked out the front door, turned around and locked it, then headed towards his car.
"Where the heck does a person find a gas station around here!" I yelled at him.
He looked over at me, startled, and stammered out, "Uh...go under the freeway, then about a mile up and on your left..."
I hung up the pump, and crawled back in the Valiant. Halfway to the next station, the sky opened up and it was raining buckets.
When I returned to the motel, Darren had the Dakota up under the lobby portico, and was once again priming the oil pump. It was 1:00AM by the time we ventured out on a rain soaked US-75. Darren in the lead with Rachael and Pops behind him, then I was a half mile back, then Boone and Dale quickly faded back behind us. With the ET Streets, If you feed too much power to it, you break traction, and the rear feels like it is on ice. When you lift, for that little bit of time the converter allows deceleration, you still have no traction, then when the engine falls below stall speed, and the rear is freewheeling, you can gather it up again. So the tendency is to drive along, just barely into the converter, with an eggshell under your throttle. For most of us that equates to 25-35 mph, but Dale's Gremlin is light in the back and has a 95 inch wheelbase, and Boone was pulling a trailer, so they were having more difficulties. It's really not horrible on a backwoods two lane, but it doesn't really work on a major highway, and the worst case scenario is a Turnpike, or toll road, because these usually have a higher minimum speed limit, and a bunch of people in a big hurry! Our route for the next 100 miles or so, however, was exactly that, the I335/I35 Kansas Turnpike, so it was with a little trepidation that I pulled up to the toll booth at the entrance and grabbed my ticket from the machine.

8308194-62G-Copy.JPG (234 downloads)

"Livin' in a powder keg and givin' off sparks" 4 Street cars, 5 Race engines