Darren was working on Friday, and was once again working the phone for help. He had mom running all over town to get his insurance for the Dakota. Then he requested that Mom and Dad take it down to the DMV to get it registered! He's had the darn thing in Oklahoma for six months, has been planning to take it on Drag Week since pre-registering it the last of April, and now on the last possible day, he's asking other people to get the insurance and registration?
Then he started in on Boone about getting a glass guy out to install the back glass, and taking it to the muffler shop for exhaust! I overheard Boone telling him, "Let's just get the registration and go from there", then Boone laughed and hung up.
"What did he say?"
"He said he couldn't believe we were just blowing him off when all he needed was a little help to make this happen!"
"Good Lord!" I shook my head, "I don't know how you guys continue to put up with that!"

This meant everyone working on the Dakota had to shift gears, we had parts and people draped all over this thing on the trailer, so, now we had to clean up all the loose parts and tools, bolt the old slicks and wheels back on, and secure it to the trailer so it could make the trip to the DMV. Just before they fired the 1 ton to take it out of the yard, Dale decided the tailgate might not ride in place, so he and Boone removed it. Then I realized that Dad had removed the tank straps to paint them, and the aluminum gas tank was just sitting in the bed! I literally picked it up as Dad and Mom drove out from under it.

Twenty minutes later, Boone had a startled Dad on the phone trying to explain that he had somehow lost the tailgate and the fuel tank!

8289183-017.JPG (183 downloads)

"Livin' in a powder keg and givin' off sparks" 4 Street cars, 5 Race engines