"I'm pretty sure we were supposed to go left at the intersection we bought gas at, but we drove through the light to get to the station."
"So", she dropped her hands in her lap and her voice softened, "we just turn around and drive back to the station?"
"Naw", I laughed, "Where's the fun in that, have you ever been down this road?" I pointed to the right.
"No"
"Me neither...this is supposed to be an adventure, so let's try it out. It should run parallel to 81, so we'll cut back in a few miles and see what there is to see."
"Sounds good, let's do it, but you lead, that way it'll be your fault if we get lost again!"

What the road we chose ran parallel to was the Wichita Valley center Floodway, so when it next hit an intersection at an odd angle, I lost my bearings. Eventually we ended up at a lonely farm road four way, in which the three choices in front of us were all dirt road.
"We have to go back to that last place I turned left, I'm not trusting these ET Streets on a dirt road", I told her.
Finally I got us back to civilization, then I pulled into a convenience store and told Rachael to go in and ask for directions, "I can't do it, I'm a man!"
She laughed, and ran in the store with her route sheet. I could see her through the big front glass looking out on the pumps. The two girls behind the counter were close to her age, and they were very excited to look at the sheet, and I could tell Rachael was having a good time explaining to them what we were doing. She came out with a big smile on her face, "One more mile, then turn right on US-81!"
"You lead the way!" I told her. There are certain opportunities in life where you have the chance to make a positive memory with a loved one, that will stick with them after you are gone. I've learned not to pass those up. We'd just spent 20 minutes and a couple of gallons of gas wondering around aimlessly in a pair of old hotrods, and I figured it was worth every second.

8328728-090-Copy.JPG (136 downloads)

"Livin' in a powder keg and givin' off sparks" 4 Street cars, 5 Race engines