Chapter 3: Drag Week begins!
Well. Kinda. You see, when you have home track advantage, the line between the end of thrash week, and the beginning of Drag Week can definitely be blurred a bit. Last year, at Bowling Green, we were in a motel Sunday night, with our rigs sitting in impound. We only had until a few minutes after the Driver's Meeting on Monday morning to decide what to take and what to leave behind.
This year we had our shop, our tools, our rigs, all at our disposal only seven miles away, until we left for Topeka. It's a huge advantage, and one we've had to lean on quite heavily on the two Drag Weeks that have began and ended in Tulsa.

The guys surprised me by returning at around 10:30 PM, but there was still work to be done. Rachael and I had used what was left of our afternoon to pack up the stuff we intended to carry in our cars, and were ready to roll in the morning. Reports were swirling at the track earlier that the Driver's Meeting was scheduled for eight AM, instead of the usual 9, due to the large number of entries, so I called it a night at Midnight, set my alarm for 6:05 AM, and crashed as they continued to work on the Dakota.

At the track, Monday morning left to right: Robert (6pak2go) Dale, John SR., and Sam (Sam64)

8300812-029.JPG (222 downloads)

"Livin' in a powder keg and givin' off sparks" 4 Street cars, 5 Race engines