Around noon, we decided to unload the Dakota from the trailer, and push it onto the pad in front of the garage, where most of the work had been done on the Gremlin. Dad, Boone, Dale, James, and I wrestled it into position and then elevated it onto jack stands.
Boone removed the old Hoosiers and Super Tricks for the final time, and shoved them out of the way. The first time we mocked up one of the new wheels is was apparent that the rusty, unfinished drums on the 8 3/4 weren't going to work on the open 5 spoke wheel, so I took them into the shop, out of the rain, and gave them a nice gloss black bath.
Dale sat just under the bed, near the battery box, "I need to finish these cables, but we never had the right ends, despite Darren making at least two trips for them, this is frustrating as..."
"They, should have been in a Kimball Midwest box in the back of the trailer", Darren interrupted, finally making his entrance for the day. He peered into the trailer, then boomed out, "Where are all my parts! I had everything laid out right here in the..."
"We had a major storm last night, in case you didn't notice", it was my turn to jump into the conversation, "We had to put everything away!"
"Let's just dig up all the cable, and all the ends we can find, and get that part finished", Boone suggested.
The four of us, working together on one project, might get messy. Darren likes to bolt on major components, step back and look at them, but never tie up the loose ends. Boone likes to take one component or sub-system, and completely finish it before looking at anything else. Dale likes to work an area, such as back to front, and finish everything as he moves. I like to hand people stuff, laugh, joke, and tell great stories while everyone else does the heavy lifting. It's an imperfect system, so hopefully Dad and James could fill in the gaps!
"Where's Mom?" Darren asked, as he looked around realizing the PT Cruiser was gone.
"She took Rachael and the girls over to visit Grand Mother", I informed him.
"Huh, well...who am I going to send after parts?"
"And who are we going to get to fix us lunch?" Dad added.
I just shook my head and looked at both of them, "Some peoples kids!"
When the rear drums were back on, Boone pulled out the new lug nuts and hoisted the first billet specialties wheel into place. He dropped the third one he attempted to screw on, and it fell into the wheel with that signature aluminum on aluminum clack. The blood drained from Darren's face immediately and he lunged to the other side of the Dakota where Boone was kneeling.
"Get out of the way! I'll do that!"
"I got this", Boone growled
"They're MY wheels, I just spent a ton of money on them, if I want to put them on, I'll put them on!" Darren insisted
"If you can't trust me to put wheels on, then you can't trust me to do anything else, I'm done!" Boone countered
"Fine", Darren refused to back down.
"FINE", Boone shouted, then tossed the tools on the ground and walked away towards the Barnyard Viper.

Boone started sorting through all of his tools, and organizing everything that we planned to take in the trailer, I split off from the Dakota to help him, and make small talk. We decided it was a good time to swap in the new plugs while we were at it.
Darren's girlfriend Jamie must've been the parts runner, and when she showed up, she also brought Charlie's Chicken take out with her, so we all knocked off and ate picnic style, in the back yard. The time spent on the Barnyard, and a good lunch, seemed to take away Boone's anger and soon he was back on the Dakota.
Once Darren finished bolting the tires and wheels on, they stuck him under the 727 to finish up what he should have done three weeks earlier, namely the converter bolts.

8291790-023.JPG (181 downloads)

"Livin' in a powder keg and givin' off sparks" 4 Street cars, 5 Race engines